Thursday, January 6, 2011

iShield by Zagg

Buying a hand phone nowadays is no laughing matter. Recently I bought my 3rd blackberry unit which is the Blackberry Torch. At a cost of more than US$ 20k (US$ 454), I wanted to make sure that its protected from bumps and scratches.

I first read about iShield by Zagg on one the pop up advertisements on my blog and I clicked on it, curious as to its purpose and its being effective.


So what does iShield basically offer:
-Maximum Coverage includes 0.2 mm thick invisibleSHIELD the entire gadget
-Military grade patented material engineered for your Apple iPhone
-Unique properties provide self-healing qualities
-Helps reduce the appearance of fingerprint smudges and smears
-Includes free lifetime replacement warranty for the life of your device

I also searched the net for reviews on it and it turns out that this is one of the most highly recommended protective 'case' not just for the screen but for the entire phone/tablet/camera/watch/laptop. They're biggest market though are the Apple products (iPhone, iPad, and iPod)

I was already willing to have them ship me a iShield set for my Torch for US$ 24.99 plus shipping (around Php 1,232) when a friend of mine told me that there are several iShield stations in the Metro Manila. I highly doubted this since I never imagined Filipinos to be that protective of their devices but upon checking the website of Zagg, I found out that there is indeed a branch at Mall of Asia (they also have branches inside SM Megamall, SM North Edsa, and other major SM malls). I emailed iShield Philippines if they had the Full Maximum Coverage for Blackberry Torch at Mall of Asia and I got a prompt reply that they did but only on limited stocks.

I lost no time in going to Mall of Asia and had them iShield my phone.

Firstly, don't go there on a weekend. There's just too many people having their phones protected and a normal procedure would take about 30 to 45 minutes including the air drying. What I mean by normal is when they do iPhones, iPods and iPads. While waiting for my phone to be done, I already saw at least 5 iProduct being serviced.

Now, when it came to my phone, it was a different story. I spent more than 45 minutes waiting (more like an hour and 15 minutes) getting my phone covered by the plastic as there was just too many 'parts' to stick on my phone.

First they clean it. Then they spray this liquid thing on the phone to have the plastic thing stick on it.

They they use that yellow eraser thingy to remove all the excess liquid between the phone's surface and the plastic protection.


Now they have to do this to each and every component of the phone that needs protection and on my phone alone, there could easily be at least 10 to 15 sticky plastic parts.

After ensuring that all parts are perfectly stuck to the phone, the unit is put inside this oven looking device to air dry it

I have to admire the lady who did the iShield on my phone. She was really really really patient as she had to check that each part was perfectly stuck on my phone. The amount I paid for was all worth it (I even dropped in a tip for her meticulous handiwork)

Now I don't even have to buy a case for my phone. Nor do I have to worry about throwing my phone inside my bag and have it being accidentally scratched by who-knows-what.

As one of the credit card companies unforgettable tagline goes...
Cost of Maximum Coverage iShield: Php 1,500 (US$ 34)
Ease of Mind: Priceless!

For iPad, full coverage is at Php 2,500 (US$ 57)
All other phones and even iPods, full coverage is at Php 1,500 (US$ 34) as well

Visit their website to learn more about iShield at http://www.zagg.com/ (I'm not an official endorser...just a happy customer)

18 comments:

  1. Hi i just wanna know if ung 2500 is back and front cover na un for iPad?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im not really connected with iShield but I do think its front and back. Although to be honest, the ishield on my Blackberry Torch has already peeled off and it only took a few months for it to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello,

    I would like to ask if you've used iShield again after it was already peeled off? I just got my BB 9780 today and I'm planning to use this on my phone. There's also an iShield branch at Glorietta and ATC.

    Thank you. :)

    Regards,
    Rodel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. never again, is what I said to myself.
      too expensive to just peel of too quickly. although you'll notice the plastic is actually thicker than the other screen protectors.

      Delete
    2. they are very tricky and very unfair to their staff.

      Delete
  4. goodam, may i knw the exact location of zagg at MOA? thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. its near the area where you have to queue up for the movie house. there are two sides but I can't really remember which side it is on :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do they replace your ishield for free if it peels off?

    ReplyDelete
  7. it actually has a lifetime warranty.
    if it peeled off, its supposed to be included in the coverage thus you can have it redone again for free.
    you can try to contact them just to be sure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Don't forget that life time warranty! Where you just pay a little amount for a full replacement of the Protective cover!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is a lifetime warranty but they replaced a poor/not genuine protector. You'll just get disappointed cause it is not as good as the first one. Please be aware

      Delete
  9. Ishield is a fraud.I have mine installed and I was really disappointed. There are scratches and bubbles. >.<

    ReplyDelete
  10. iShield is not Zagg Invisible Shield.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, I am looking at the website and I cant find information on their Philippine branches. Do you still have their email address? I want to check if they have stocks din.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I got my new Samsung note 5 installed with their ishield tempered glass at sm north edsa annex. And just after 1 month, it had bubbles and they won't replace it. They wanted me to pay another 500 pesos for the replacement fee aside from the initial 1,500 pesos i paid for my tempered glass, when the defect came from their product. I went to their kiosk 2 times for the repair of the bubbles but they can't fix it. They even wanted me to downgrade my protector to their ordinary ishield protector which only costs 800 pesos amd still i have to pay another 200 pesos for the replacement. What a rip-off! They are fooling people. They need to learn a lesson and not make a fool out of people. I hope i saved a lot people from buying this worthless and defective product.

    ReplyDelete