Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Origami

Normally when choosing a restaurant to dine in, we tend to avoid those that are empty of diners. We immediately conclude that the food or service might not be good, hence, no diners. So on the night that my cousin Allen wanted to treat us (rather belatedly but who's complaining) for dinner, we were scouting around the area of Greenbelt 5 in Makati and could not decide which restaurant to dine at. The first time we passed by Origami restaurant and we did not even consider going in since it was empty...as in not a single diner! As we have been scouting for a while already and everybody was hungry and tired, what the heck, why not give Origami a try (nobody has died anyway from eating in a not-good-food restaurant).


Origami (ori=folding, kami=paper) is, of course by the name itself, a Japanese restaurant. Im usually not a fan of Japanese restaurants since I am, honestly, fazed by what to order. Everything on the menu is unfamiliar to me even though I have eaten in numerous Japanese restaurants. Its just that I have to make sure that my companions would know what to order because definitely, i will be of no help when ordering food in a Japanese restaurant.

The interior is typical Japanese in the sense that its design is based on simple lines and feels uncluttered.

The restaurant is really not very big. Enough to make you fell cozy once you enter the air-conditioned section. They do have a sprinkling of outdoor tables should one insist on smoking cancer inducing cigarettes (ex smoker who has successfully quit and would be happy to live in a tobacco/cigarette free world)

Behind the bar/counter, you'll find these diagonal square designs that break the monotony of an all-white wall.

Now on to the food. For starters, we had:

California Maki

Sashimi

And, Unagi Rolls

I was only able to taste the California Maki and it was very good. Add to that that I was already very hungry so if I had a choice, I would have finished the entire Calimaki dish.

I didn't get to try the two other dishes since I am allergic to fish! But my cousins told me they were equally good as well.

Next, we ordered individually and I opted to have the Chicken Teriyaki Bento Box
The chicken teriyaki tasted good but I would have to say there was nothing exceptional about it. (perhaps we have been so used to eating at Teriyaki Boy)

One of my cousins ordered this beef dish and I managed to try a bit of it and it was quite tasty...I wouldn't mind ordering next time I dine at Origami.

For me, one of the most unappetizing dishes that one of my cousins ordered was the seafood curry with rice. For a not at all cheap restaurant, the presentation is indeed lacking. Taste wise, my cousin said it was just ok.

We also ended up sharing a plate of Tempura (shrimp). Sadly, it was not very delish.

Our bill came out to be around Php 3,600 (US$ 81.81) averaging around Php 720 (US$ 16.36) per person (with a round of drinks for everyone). Not exactly cheap if you ask me but at least we almost had the restaurant to ourselves (eventually 4 other people ate at the restaurant but they decided to sit at the smoking section). Service was quite good (I guess it should be since we were the only clients around hehehe). I wouldn't mind going back to Origami though, at least now I know what are the items that I need to order.

Origami Restaurant
Ground Floor
Greenbelt 5
Legaspi Street, Legaspi Village
Makati City
Tel: (+63 2) 5013815 or 5013817

1 comment:

  1. Nice review and pictures. I've never tried eating there but thanks to your review, I now know what to expect. I'm a huge fan of Japanese cuisine, and it was sad to know that their Ebi Tempura wasn't delicious since it's one of my most favorite dishes. Maybe I'll try that beef dish you mentioned, it looked very tasty.

    ReplyDelete