Saturday, May 29, 2010

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

I just came back from Kuala Lumpur and Singapore last Wednesday which is why I haven't been posting anything. For lack of any proper excuse, suffice it to say that I've just been too lazy to blog. Anyway, 10 days in KUL and SIN on business was really tiring. I hate to admit it but I think my age is finally catching up with me as I can feel my thighs and calves wanting to give up. In Kuala Lumpur, stayed at Novotel Kuala Lumpur which is excellently located at the city centre and is beside Pavilion Mall (which houses numerous restaurants and shops).
twin bed...small room but clean and cozy
view from my window
Luxury brands abound in Pavilion but this shopping complex also houses numerous fast-food type of restaurants at the basement

I've been going to Kuala Lumpur for the past 12 years (average of about 2 trips a year to KUL) and I must say its biggest attraction is the wide range of food that they offer. Malay and Chinese food are at its best here as you will later see on my attached pictures. Kuala Lumpur has its share of negative aspects though:
1. taxi drivers that cheat you on your fare (they instantly peg a price and refuse to start the meter)
2. taxi drivers that are ignorant on the location of streets...c'mon, this is not like Seoul where streets are not organized in an english fashion
3. the perception that it is not safe to walk the streets specially at the tourist area (Jln Sultan Ismail/Bukit Bintang) but I guess this is true with every city that one has to be careful when walking around as a tourist.
4. nothing much to do in the city...as I always say...see one city and you've seen all cities. you have to get out of kuala lumpur to really absorb the culture and beauty of Malaysia...truly Asia!

bah kut teh from Pao Xiang in Pavilion...really tasty meat and soup..best I've tasted so far and that says a lot since I'm not a fan of bah kut teh
must-eat Madam Kwan's Nasi Lemak (chicken) at KLCC
Tenderloin steak from Angus House (japanese charcoal steak) at Pavilion
Chicken in Hot Clay Pot from one of the hawker stations at the basement of Pavilion (there's only one stall there that sells this kind of food)
Burger steak from Pepper Lunch at Sunway Lagoon

No comments:

Post a Comment