Thursday, May 19, 2011

The Rotisserie

Aren't there times that you wished you could just take a relaxing and un-hurried dinner with friends with the ambiance of a fine dining restaurant. I do! Which is why for my post birthday treat this year (my birthday is actually in February but we always wait for the group to be complete before we do any celebrations, thus, this dinner happened early part of May), I decided to introduce my friends to The Rotisserie.


According to The Rotisserie's press kit "Preserving a traditional exceptional food and service, Rotisserie is the home of Manila's Prime Rib of Roast Beef and Caesar Salad. Take a stroll down memory lane and reminisce the flair of the Old Manila through Rotiserrie's classic vintage setting"


The Rotisserie has been around for more than 30 years if my memory serves me right and this restaurant used to be THE restaurant to be seen. Nowadays, it seems as if the restaurant has lost all its glory and the young ones would not even be familiar with this restaurant.

Be prepared to spend a bit when you dine at The Rotisserie. Expect to spend at least Php 2,000 or US$ 46 per person, not including the drinks yet. I was fortunate to personally know the Food and Beverage Director as well as the Executive Chef of the hotel and I asked them to prepare a special menu for me and my friends at a very special price (hotel director's privilege which I was able to "borrow").

First off, we had the complimentary bread basket. Remember this is in a fine dining setting so we expected the food to be served one at a time and at a slow pace. It helped that there was an abundance of bread for us to help ourselves and satiate our hunger while waiting for each of the dishes to be presented.

Our soup came out next. Lobster Bisque it was. Very thick and tasty. You immediately know that this is no run-of-the-mill bisque.

The Caesar Salad which was tossed by the maitre d' at the salad tossing station (?). The dressing was perfect as was the generous topping of cheese and bacon bits.

My entree consisted of Roast Beef and Prawns. Now, The Rotisserie has always been known for its Roast Beef and this is where we would find out if the restaurant was able to maintain the perfect way of preparing this dish. I am usually not a fan of steaks or beef for that matter but since this is what the restaurant is famous for. I, of course, would not want to miss the chance of tasting it once again.

Certainly, the roast beef was excellent. Topped with the gravy, it was soft, chewy and delicious. The prawns were also very good and taking their shell off was a breeze. I was the only one presented with this combo dish (my friends were given the roast beef + sea bass combination) since I am allergic to fish.

My friends also enjoyed their roast beef serving. Unfortunately, the sea bass was a disappointment to all. The general consensus was that it was not fresh. A pity since it looked very appetizing.

Last came the dessert. Tiramisu with a side scoop of ice cream. Everyone sang praises for this light and tasteful end to our meal. I expected it to be mediocre but to my pleasant surprise, it was so good that I wanted a second serving.

All in all, it took us more than two hours to finish our meal. I also brought in a bottle of red wine (corkage waived upon my request) to compliment our roast beef. For special occasions, I would highly recommend this restaurant as it oozes of romance and Old World charm as they claim. The price as I mentioned earlier is hefty but in the end, your taste buds are satisfied as only a proper find dining restaurant can satisfy it.

The Rotisserie
3rd Floor, Manila Pavilion Hotel
U.N. Avenue, Ermita, Manila
1000 Philippines
Tel: (63 2) 5261212

Mon-Fri lunch: 1130H to 1500H
Mon-Sat dinner: 1830H to 2230H
Closed on Sundays

2 comments:

  1. I agree..its one of those restaurants that retain the old grandeur of fine dining in "old" Manila. I have yet to dine there though but I remember you letting me see the place when I did my ocular there.

    It is a wonder that it is Manila Pavilion's best kept secret that they seem to want to KEEP a secret when it could have been one of their best marketing tactics..at least for F&B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. couldn't agree with you more!

    ReplyDelete