Saturday, November 20, 2010

Heat

Heat or short for Healthy Eating and Amazing Tastes (bet you didn't know that! because I learned about it only today) is Edsa Shangri-la Manila's main coffee shop where buffet breakfast, lunch and dinner is served 24/7. When we are in the mood for a hotel buffet meal, we usually think of Sofitel's Spiral, Makati Shangri-la's Circle, or Hyatt Manila's Market Cafe. Heat is never at the top of our minds when we select the coffee shop that we would want to go to since they are not known for good food. But having dined today at Heat and the other times that I have been able to taste their food selection, I think my impression of the restaurant is about to change for the better.

I started off with a bit of dimsum, fried dumplings, veggies, hainanese chicken and a slice of pizza. I was very hungry at this point and wanted to tear away at the food on my plate as they looked appetizing. In no time at all, my 'appetizer' was all but consumed.

Since I am a big fan of prawns, my next plate consisted of at least 7 prawns, egg curry, salted eggs and garlic bread. It's a weird combination if you look at it but I was looking more at the balance of tastes and for them not to conflict with each other. The egg curry was spicy (in a very good way since how often does one get spicy curry taste here in Manila). After consuming the egg, I used the remaining sauce as a dip for my steamed prawns. The other set of prawns cooked with crab fat sauce is taken together with the salted eggs (cholesterol attack!). And finally the garlic bread was to neutralize the strong flavors brought about by the curry sauce and the salted eggs.

I'm more of a dessert person so two full plates was enough for me. Now its time for to move on the best part of the meal. I started out with a platter of fruits with watermelon, cantaloupe, dragon fruit, oranges and grapes. The colors may not be as vivid as I'd like the fruits to look but they are truly, and without any doubt, sweet! I truly enjoyed my fruit platter this time as the fruits really were at their best taste.

I also tried a little bit of the ice cream cake and had I been less conscious of my body weight, I would have gone back for one or two additional servings. This was actually just your basic ice cream flavors like chocolate, purple yam and strawberry but it is the overall taste that truly tickled and pleased my taste buds.

And for the grand finale, I had this trio of mini cakes which really looked mouth watering when I saw them. Usually, hotel buffet cakes disappoint me once I bite into them but this was an exemption. The cakes were divine and I wanted to get some more but I had to stop myself since I already was very full and getting more would have equated to gluttony.

Service has also considerably improved. My cutleries were changed everytime was empty plate was whisked away. I didn't notice it at first but my water glass was never empty with the food attendants discreetly filling my glass everytime I drank from it.

Overall, it was a pleasurable dining experience and I didn't mind having to travel all the way to Edsa Shangri-la just to sample their buffet at Heat. The selection may not be as extensive as some other hotels but you will leave the restaurant gratified nonetheless.

Heat Restaurant
Edsa Shangri-la Manila
1 Garden Way
Ortigas Center
Mandaluyong City 1650
Philippines
Tel (+63 2) 6338888
Operating Hours: 0600H-0000H on weekdays / 0600H-0200H on weekends

1 comment: